Chocolate Mint Cookies
Chocolate Mint Cookies
|Prep time||25 minutes|
|Cook time||9 minutes|
|Total time||34 minutes|
Chocolate Mint Cookies are a thoughtful gift for neighbors and friends during the holidays. They are easy to make and loaded with minty deliciousness!
- 1-1/4 Cup flour
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Cup cocoa powder
- 1 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1- 10 ounce package Nestle Dark Chocolate & Mint Morsels (alternatively, you can use 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips with 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract. Peppermint. Extract.)
- sprinkles, colored sugar, crushed candy canes, etc. (as desired, for decorations!)
For these easy Chocolate Mint Cookies, I used an Oreo cookie recipe I found at Cincy Shopper.
Then I drizzled melted mint chocolate chips and a few decorative sprinkles. SO good! Hard to believe how easy they were to make. Rolling the dough out was the most "complicated" part. The cookies are thin enough that you could actually make a cookie sandwich if you are so inspired!
Enjoy! - The Recipe Wench
|Whisk the dry ingredients together. |
Add the butter and egg.
Mix until well-combined.
|Shape dough into a flat disk and chill for about 15 minutes in the freezer. |
Roll dough out between two sheets of parchment until approximately 1/4 inch thick (you can go thinner if you want)
Use a 2-inch round cookie cutter (I used a small glass) to cut cookies into circles.
Collect scraps and form into a flat disk, chill in freezer for a few minutes, roll out and cut more cookies. Repeat these steps until all dough has been used.
Bake in 375°F oven for 6 - 9 minutes.
|To melt the mint chocolate chips, there are a few ways to do this. I prefer the double boiler method: |
(1) bring water to a simmer in a double boiler (make sure water doesn't touch the top half of the double boiler).
Place about 1/2 cup of chips in the top of the double boiler, stir until chips start to melt. Add more chips, continue stirring until all chips are melted; or
(2) Place chips in a small heavy saucepan over lowest possible heat. Stir constantly just until chips are melted; or
(3) Place entire package of chips in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high 1 minute; stir. If needed, microwave on high for additional 15 second intervals, stirring after each interval, just until chips are melted when stirred.
Spoon melted mint chocolate into a pastry bag to drizzle over cookies. You can also drizzle just using a fork or spoon. It doesn't have to be precise -- have fun!
Decorate with sprinkles and colored sugar as you like!