The Liebster Award — Our First Nomination!
Our weekend getaway to Matera with Heidi and Thor certainly started off on a positive note when I checked Facebook to find that The Recipe Wench had received its first award nomination thanks to Karyn at Sand and Snow … and everywhere in between.
We’re so proud — our little wench is growing up!
The Liebster award is an award by the blogging community to new bloggers. “Liebster” translates from German to English as “Dearest.”
We’ll take it!
We’re honored to have been nominated and are excited to participate in this blogging community tradition.
To participate, there are six simple rules, which go like this —
1. Acknowledge the blog that nominated you and display the Liebster Award on your blog.
2. Answer 11 questions that the blogger gives you.
3. Give 11 random facts about yourself.
4. Nominate 11 blogs that you think are deserving of the award, that have less than (or around) 300 followers.
5. Let those bloggers know you’ve nominated them.
6. Give them 11 questions to answer.
Let’s Start With 11 Random Facts About Myself
- I am afraid to fly, but I don’t let that stop me from travelling.
- I met Jeff only because I approached him at a bar in San Diego. Turns out, he and his friend were on their way out when I essentially jumped in front of them to introduce myself. Still together 27 years later….
- If I need to sneeze, I just look at the sun and then it happens!
- I used to dabble in modeling in my teen years and ended up in the centerfold of a career magazine distributed to high school seniors. It was my 15 minutes as fame as kids around campus would look at me, then look at the magazine and realize I was that girl!
- After I watch a movie, I rarely can recall the specific details but I will always remember whether I liked it or not.
- My very first concert was with my brothers and cousins. We went to The Jackson Five in Hawaii.
- I once ran a marathon with 10,000 participants. THREE people finished after me!
- I made my post-high-school career choice while I was sitting in typing class. I thought, “I like to type. I don’t want to wear a uniform. I’ll be a secretary.” Took me about 20 seconds to decide.
- I worked at Taco Bell throughout high school and still feel compelled to critique their customer service when I visit. (I keep the critique to myself, thankfully!)
- My favorite flowers are tulips, and I almost broke into tears when we visited the Netherlands and saw the blooming fields of tulips.
- As a little girl I used to keep little pieces of bread, crackers and leftover food in my dresser drawers — I think it was a survival tactic (I grew up with 3 brothers with big appetites!).
Now Let’s Respond to the Questions from Sand and Snow … and everywhere in between
1. Have you always wanted to be a writer?
I’ve always enjoyed writing — especially “journaling,” but I never had aspirations to be “a writer.” My high school English teacher gave us an opportunity to earn 15 extra credit points by keeping a journal throughout the semester. I LOVED it. When our daughters were younger, I wrote journal entries from time to time — just to memorialize the events. I’m so glad I did. Reading those entries now reminds me of just how much I enjoyed my little girls and all the good times we had together.
2. What was the kookiest job you’ve ever had?
I had two kooky jobs! I mentioned I dabbled in modeling as a teen. Part of that involved “promoting” businesses by holding signs and waving to traffic during open houses. My agency asked me to dress up with a lot of holiday spirit (think: Christmas elf) and do a promotion at a department store. Well, I definitely dressed as an elf, but that was NOT what the department store was looking for! They quickly ushered me to a dressing room and had me change into “normal” clothes. Embarrassing!
The other job was as a temp at a hospital. I worked in the “medical staff services” office and had to prepare the on-call schedule for the Emergency Room. I was required to post the schedule in the Emergency Room. There were actual medical emergencies going on when I walked in. I have no medical background. Medical is not my cup of tea, and I couldn’t wait to finish my temporary obligation with that hospital!
3. How many days a year do you spend traveling?
Oh gosh! I can’t even tell you. Jeff and I travel as much as we can. We are “making hay while the sun shines” and we live in Europe!
4. What was your inspiration to write?
I have to say my inspiration came from my daughters. This blog was born out of a desire to share recipes with Alyssa and Jackie. I love that we have a chance to share our adventures with everyone as well.
5. What is your favorite blog post to date?
I really enjoyed the blog post about The Jerry Thomas Project Speakeasy. It was so much fun to “research.”
6. How do you maintain a balance between writing and home?
As an empty-nester, the home doesn’t really need much of my attention. Our daughters are grown and caring for themselves. I am thankful to have the time to devote to the blog.
7. Favorite television program.
That’s a tough one. There are several series we enjoy watching. Sons of Anarchy was pretty entertaining!
8. Who was your hero growing up?
My father, without a doubt.
9. Sand or snow?
Snow … but not too much!
10. Favorite spot to vacation?
I can’t choose a favorite. I love all vacations! Skiing in Germany, chilling in Montepulciano … or laying under an umbrella poolside in Palm Springs! How’s that for variety?!
11. What’s the one recipe you can make with your eyes closed?
Stir-fry! No measuring required!
Nominate 11 blogs that you think are deserving of the award
Ramblings of an Aspiring Small Town Girl
Thank you for the nomination, Sand and Snow … and everywhere in between! We’re thrilled!
So, here are the 11 questions for the 11 blogs nominated —
1. What do you like best about blogging?
2. Where do you see your blog in 5 years?
3. What prompted you to start blogging?
4. Describe your idea of a perfect day.
5. Where do you get your ideas for blogs?
6. What does a typical day for you look like?
7. If you could have one wish, what would it be?
8. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you choose?
9. What’s your favorite childhood memory?
10. What do you do to promote your blog?
11. How much time a day do you spend working on your blog?
We want to hear from you!